The party that talks about family values has taken a financial sledge hammer to family support systems in the United States. It is apparent that they value only the families of the top 2%, and their consciences are not troubled by what happens to the families of working poor and struggling middle class people. Here is what their proposed budget will do:
- Destroy 700,000 jobs.
- Zero out federal funding for National Public Radio and public television.
- Cut $1.3 billion from community health centers—denying health care to over 3 million low-income people.
- Cut nearly a billion dollars in food and health care assistance to pregnant women, new moms, and children.
- Kick more than 200,000 children out of preschool by cutting funds for Head Start.
- Force states to fire 65,000 teachers and aides and increasing class sizes, thanks to education cuts.
- Cut some or all financial aid for 9.4 million low- and middle-income college students.
- Slash $1.6 billion from the National Institutes of Health, cutting jobs and impacting cancer research and possibly also Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s research.
- End the federal family planning program, cutting all federal funding to Planned Parenthood to support cancer screenings and other women’s health care.
- Leave 10,000 low-income veterans homeless by cutting in half the number of veterans who get housing vouchers.
The primary reason for democratic government is to look after the interests of citizens. In my dictionary, the “dem” in democracy means “people.” This is why we say “Government by the people and for the people.” The GOP seeks to roll back advances in civil rights — including women’s rights — and wants to destroy needed social programs. They have an understanding of government that is alien to democracy. If they do not want to protect children, veterans, women, or working people, whose government are they?
The GOP courted Christian women’s votes by pretending that they would prevent abortion. The GOP knows — and everyone should know by now — that what actually prevents abortion is 1) good information about reproduction, 2) adequate available birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancy, and 3) economic security for women to enable them to feed, clothe, and educate children. Whose babies will they save by denying woman and infants health care, closing down WIC, cutting Head Start, laying off school teachers, and cutting financial aid?
If you are not in the top 2%, the GOP doesn’t love you or your children. They don’t care if you and your children — and your elderly parents as well — all go hungry. Don’t take my word for it. Read their budget.